When you’re getting to know someone, conversation starters can help transform mediocre, surface-level conversations into those that are deep, enlightening, and sometimes even downright profound!
And never is this sentiment more apparent than when demonstrated in couples, both new and old!
You see, the human mind is chock full of opinions, feeling, memories, preferences, beliefs, and thoughts, some of which are so deeply rooted, it can be hard to unearth them without asking the right questions.
As such, we thought it would be beneficial to compile a massive list of the BEST conversation starters for couples and spouses to enjoy together.
Because let’s face it, sometimes, no matter how long you’ve been together or how well you think you know your partner, we could all benefit from a little conversational boost!
As such, the following 300+ conversation starters are suited for couples of all backgrounds and can facilitate a variety of conversations, from fun and lighthearted to deep, emotional, and even difficult.
So, without further ado, feel free to keep reading if you’d like some inspiration on how to keep the conversations good AND going!
Fun Conversation Starters for Couples
Maybe the mood is off and you’re looking for a way to lighten it. Maybe things are feeling dull and you’re craving that magnetic spark to ignite feelings of closeness between you and your partner.
Either way, the following fun conversation starters for couples are sure to set the tone for some good ‘ole fashioned fun that will have you getting to know each other in a whole new way!
1. What fictional character do you most relate to?
2. What are the three jobs you definitely couldn’t do?
3. If you were in a witness protection program, what would be your new name and where would you go?
4. If you could get away with a crime, would you? If yes, what would it be?
5. If you were given a lump sum of money to start a business, what kind of business would you start?
6. How and when do you think humanity will go extinct?
7. What was the most uncomfortable thing you’ve had to do out of politeness?
8. What’s the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to you, and how much would someone have to pay you to relive it?
9. What’s the worst you’ve seen someone screw up on social media?
10. If you could break any world record which one would it be?
11. What about yourself is completely different from what you were like 10 years ago?
12. Who is your favorite Disney villain?
13. What’s one thing everybody loves but you hate?
14. What would you do if you could be invisible for one day?
15. What’s something you wish was socially acceptable?
16. If you could ask your future self only one thing, what would it be?
17. Are you interested in being famous? If yes, how would you like to be known? If no, why not?
18. If you had to drop everything and go on a road trip, where would you go?
19. If you could use a time machine, would you rather have one that only goes back in time or only goes forward?
20. If you had the opportunity to choose where you had grown up, where would it be and why?
21. Would you go live on mars if ever given the opportunity?
22. Are there any smells that bring back memories for you? What are they, and what memories do they elicit?
23. If time was frozen for 8 hours starting now and you could still move around freely, what would you do?
24. What fictional character do you relate to the most?
25. What useless skill would you have or want to learn?
26. What superpower would you want and why?
27. What’s your guilty pleasure show to watch or music to listen to?
28. What song is playing in the back of your head?
29. If you changed your name, what would it be?
30. If you won a million dollars but it had to be donated to a charity of your choosing, to whom would you give the money?
31. An alien ship (assume they are nonviolent) comes down and says, “Come explore the universe with us. We will show you thousands of new planets and countless new forms of life and technology but you can never return to earth. Nor can you call/write/text/carrier pigeon anyone before or after you leave.” Do you go?
32. What expensive thing is undeniably worth the money?
33. What’s something you wish you enjoyed but never can seem to?
34. If you could be the Greatest of All Time (G.O.A.T) at any one thing, what would it be?
35. If you had full control of reality what would you do?
36. If you won the lottery tomorrow, what’s the very first thing you’d do after cashing the check?
37. What was the last song that got stuck in your head?
38. Do you dream in first or third person?
39. What do you know isn’t real, but want badly for it to exist?
40. If you could bring one fictional character to life, who would it be?
41. If you were a ship, what kind of ship would you be? And why?
Deep & Intellectual Conversation Starters for Couples
Want to get out of the shallows and head into deeper waters for some really enlightening, important, and potentially serious conversations? If so, the following deep conversation starters for couples are your best bet!
After all, sometimes the BEST way to get to know someone is to dive deep.
1. What’s the most important piece of advice you ever received?
2. How do you want to be remembered after you die? What does your legacy look like?
3. If you could relive one memory, what would it be and why?
4. Do you have any conspiracy theories? If so, what are they?
5. What is the hardest way you’ve learned an important lesson?
6. What’s the worst piece of advice you’ve ever been given?
7. Do you have a secret hunch about how you will die?
8. Do you believe there are other life forms in the universe?
9. Have you accepted Jesus Christ into your heart as your lord and savior?
10. Do you think that money makes the world go round?
11. Humanity discovers immortality. What next?
12. What would you like the world to be like in one thousand years?
13. In a democratic society should we vote in our own personal best interests or for what we believe is best for society as a whole?
14. If you could make the world a better place for everyone but in exchange no one knows of your existence forever, would you?
15. Is man part of nature or above it?
16. What is the most beautiful thing about our world/society? And the worst part?
17. You discover a cure for AIDS or some groundbreaking cancer destroying method. Do you make sure everyone has access to it for as cheap as possible to save as many lives as you can? Do you put a fair price on it and leave it to the business world? Do you keep it a secret and profit from it? Why or why not?
18. Are zoos the best we can do for our animals?
19. Is it more worthwhile to lead a life of uncertain aspiration, or to pursue a mundane/mediocre but achievable goal?
20. If a crystal ball would tell you the truth about any one thing you wished to know concerning yourself, life, the future, or anything else, what would you want to know?
21. What do you speculate happens when someone or something “dies” for seconds to minutes at a time and then is brought back? What happens in that limbo?
22. If you could know with 100% certainty whether God or some other divine being existed, would you want to?
23. Who survives when disaster strikes and why?
24. What would you like the world to be like in one thousand years?
25. Have you ever read a book that changed the way you thought?
26. What historical event would you most like to have experienced?
27. How do you think you will die if you look at your life from an objectively perspective without wishes or emotions?
28. What would happen if we discovered for certain that life after death exists?
29. In a democratic society should we vote in our own personal best interests or for what we believe is best for society as a whole?
30. If you could make the world a better place for everyone but in exchange no one knows of your existence forever, would you?
31. Of all the people in your family, whose death would you find most disturbing? Why?
32. If you had three wishes: 1 selfish, 1 for someone else, and 1 for the world, what would they be?
Romantic Conversation Starters for Couples
Maybe you and your parter are missing the mark when it comes to romance. Or maybe you simply want something to help elevate a date night or anniversary in the form of great conversation.
No matter the exact reason, these romantic conversation starters for couples will help ignite deep feelings of love between you, as you get to know your partner on as more romantic level.
1. What wouldn’t you do for someone you love?
2. If you died today, what would be your biggest regret?
3. What are your three greatest passions?
4. What gets you out of bed in the morning?
5. Where do you go when you feel afraid?
6. What was the last thing you broke down and cried about?
7. If you could, would you run away to someplace new and start all over again?
8. What was the best year of your life? The worst?
9. If you could erase one memory from your past, what would you choose?
10. You are given three wishes by a genie, what do you wish for?
11. What makes you feel at peace?
12. What would your dream vacation look like if you had an unlimited budget but only 10 whole days?
13. If you could change one nonphysical thing about you, what would it be and why?
14. What’s the first thing you think of when you wake up most days?
15. What thoughts keep you up at night?
16. When you were younger (pre-adolescent) did you think more about being a husband/wife or a mother/father?
17. Is a relationship doomed to fail (not catastrophically) still worth having?
18. What does fear mean to you?
19. Is it easier to love or be loved?
20. Is there something you wish you remembered better?
21. Do you keep in touch with people you no longer see regularly?
22. What is the smallest thing for which you are grateful?
23. What would you consider a good life?
24. What does it mean, to you, to truly be happy
New Couples Conversation Starters for Couples
Ah, those first couple months of dating someone new! Although this time can be exciting and fun, it can also be a little confusing as you find yourself getting to know your partner more and more each day.
Get to know them on a deeper level faster (without coming on too strong!) with any of the new couple conversation starters for couples below!
1. What’s the very first memory you can recall?
2. What’s something that freaks you out for no good reason?
3. What do you do when it rains?
4. Where is your favorite place to be?
5. What is a saying that you try to live by in life?
6. What is one thing you’ve done, seen, or eaten that turned out to be really good, even though you initially didn’t expect it to be?
7. What’s the coolest project you’ve ever worked on?
8. If you’re in a team-working task, what role do you take on?
9. What’s something you’re horrible at but wish you could do well?
10. What is something you’ve done, felt, or seen but wish you hadn’t?
11. What is your favorite way to stay healthy?
12. Do you work best in the morning or in the evening?
13. Is there something you wish everybody knew about you without you having to tell them?
14. What songs do you listen to when you’re sad?
15. What would your best friend say is your worst quality?
16. How would you describe your relationship with your mother? What about your father?
17. Describe your best night ever.
18. What’s your favorite childhood memory?
19. Who has had the most positive impact on your life?
20. What have you been meaning to do but haven’t yet done? Why haven’t you done it?
21. Why is your favorite book/movie/game your favorite?
22. What’s a hobby you’ve always wanted to pick up but haven’t?
23. If you could choose to live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
24. How do you handle your anger?
25. How long do you think you’ll live?
26. What is the most useful thing your mom or dad has taught you?
27. Describe to me your ideal day?
28. Would you die happy if you knew you will die in an hour?
29. What would you like to accomplish before the year is over?
30. What is the smallest thing that can ruin your day?
31. Did you have any pets when you grew up, if so, what and how did they die?
32. Is there anything you swore never to do?
33. What was your favorite family tradition growing up?
34. What is something you wish people cared more about?
35. Have you ever Googled yourself? If so, what did you find?
36. What activity can’t you get enough of? Is there anything that makes you lose track of time?
37. What is something you enjoyed doing but would never do again?
38. What’s a rant you’ve been holding in?
39. What is something that’s easy for you but difficult for most other people?
40. What’s one thing you are glad you learned as a child?
41. Who do you wish was still alive?
42. Are there any current trends that you find troubling? Why?
43. In what way do you differ most from your parents?
44. If you could be anything in the world, no matter qualifications, experience, or anything else, what would it be?
45. If you could be any animal, what would you be and why?
46. What’s the worst thing you’ve ever done?
Funny Conversation Starters for Couples
If you and your partner are in need of a good laugh (or two!) then you’ll LOVE these funny conversation starters for couples. Perfect for bringing some much-needed laughs during times of stress and darkness, these talking points can really help bring a lightness.
1. What would be the title of your autobiography?
2. What weird habits did you have as a kid?
3. What TV show is your guilty pleasure?
4. If you had to lose one of your ten fingers, which one would you let me cut off with a knife?
5. What defines a pizza?
6. In N Out or Whataburger?
7. Pineapple on pizza, yes or no?
8. Do you wad or fold?
9. If you could outsource any of your bodily functions to other humans, what would it be and why?
10. Should a hot dog be considered a sandwich?
11. If you could design a species of animal, what would it be? why?
12. What embarrassing memory will forever be burned into your mind?
13. Based on your personality, what kind of fruit would you be?
14. What will always be funny to you?
15. What are the last five things your Google search history?Review your matches for free!