If your marriage has been on the rocks lately, then you may have been asking yourself: “How much does marriage counseling cost?”
Well, we’ve done some digging to give you better insight into exactly how much you can expect to pay for marriage counseling.
If you want the benefits of marriage counseling but cannot bear the financial burden, then consider some of the best inexpensive alternatives to traditional marriage counseling near the end.
It is likely that you will encounter conflict at some point during your marriage.
However, if this conflict transforms into an overbearing force that dominates and strains the relationship, then it may just be time to seek the help of someone who specializes in resolving these marriage counseling types of issues.
Before we get into how much marriage counseling costs, let’s briefly consider the following…
How Marriage Counseling Can Help Couples
- A marriage counselor can offer a fresh perspective in addition to new ways and tools for resolving conflict.
- Couples therapy can help couples rebuild their trust and improve the quality of their communication, which may have eroded over the years.
- Marriage counselors can effectively help couples work through difficult issues by acting as a neutral middle ground.
- With the aid of a third party marriage counselor, couples can decide whether or not their marriage is worth rebuilding or ending
So, How Much Does It Cost Exactly To Meet With A Couples Counselor?
The cost of marriage counseling can definitely vary across the board, but according to the national directory of family and marriage counseling, you can expect to pay between $75-$200 per hour, with the average session costing around $100.
How Long Will Couples Therapy Last?
On average, couple’s therapy entails 10-14 visits in a time frame of 6-8 weeks.
There are just averages and may be different for you and your spouse depending on the type of therapy and specific issues.
Will My Insurance Cover The Cost Of Couple’s Therapy?
Generally, insurance will only cover medical illnesses. In this instance, couple’s therapy is not covered.
However, there are many insurance providers and they also vary state by state so it is important take anyone’s word for face value. Use this resource to help you figure out if your insurance company might pay for couples.
So, now that you can appropriately estimate the cost…
Should You Make The Investment In Couples Counseling?
By now, you know the costs associated with marriage counseling but naybe you’re still skeptical or on the fence about it.
To help simplify this process so you can make a better informed decision, consider the following…
Remember, resolving issues in your relationship may take a tremendous amount of time and energy. You must ultimately decide if your marriage is worth fighting for.
Are you ready and willing to take full responsibility for your role in the conflict?
This is huge when it comes to marriages, or any relationship for that matter. Everyone makes mistakes.
It is important that you acknowledge this and apologize when necessary.
Are you willing and able to make financial and personal sacrifices to see couple’s therapy through?
Similarly to just about anything in life, getting results takes a lot of time and effort.
So be prepared to make personal sacrifices in order to make couples therapy work.
Are you open and prepared to compromise?
A successful marriage is like a two way street with neither person getting their way all the time.
Be prepared to compromise on a wide variety of issues in your marriage.
Are you willing to do something different?
It is very likely that the marriage counselor is going to recommend new techniques and exercises to aid the mending your marriage, so it’s important to consider how receptive to change you or your partner will be.
Although we highly recommend in person marriage counseling, we know couples who have had success through alternative resources.
With that being said, consider the following…
Inexpensive Alternatives To Traditional Couples Counseling:
If you and your spouse are unable to commit financially to couple’s therapy, then consider the following alternatives that can be just as effective.
- Save the marriage system. This system has helped save the marriage of thousands of couples, including my own. I highly recommend you check this system out.
- Better help. Better help is an online alternative to couples therapy. Right now when you sign up, you get 7 days of free online counseling.
- Marriage counseling books. These types of books can be just as effective as counseling since they allow couples to work together from the comfort and privacy of their home. By reading aloud from the book to one another, couples can create their own mini therapy session and discuss what the author says in discussion.
When it comes to marriage counseling, timing is everything.
Regrettably, most couples wait too long before seeking the help to repair their marriage.
The sooner you act, the higher chance of success you’ll have.
I hope you now have a better ideas of how much you can expect to pay for marriage counseling and if it’s ultimately for you.
Remember, there are no guarantees and it will take lots of time and effort depending on your marital issues.
Defeating Divorce believes that marriage is worth fighting for and investing in marriage counseling is wise.